Long Days, Short Years

Should we go back to school early in order to leave earlier?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Long Days, Short Years

Photo by Ylanite Koppens with permission from Pexels

Rylee Babino, Opinions Editor

Long Days, Short Years

By now, almost everyone in Longview ISD is aware of the fact that we will be losing a week out of our 2019 summer in order to go back to school on August 19th, 2019. It’s no surprise that this has raised a few complaints among students not wanting to lose some of their precious summer to report back to school a week earlier than forecasted. The last day of school is set for May 27th, 2020, the Wednesday after Memorial Day. Although going back earlier seems like the worst thing that could possibly happen now, and even more so on August 19th, it will take a little looking beyond the present to focus on why biting the bullet and going to school earlier will ultimately be a better decision.

First things first, going back the fourth week in August has only been a 2 year fluke in first day of school dates that usually take place on the third Monday of August, like it will next fall. True, we will lose a whole week of summer to the modification, but the change is necessary to fix the summer/fall transition for years to come.

On top of that, it’s always hard going back to school after what seems like an all-too-short summer, but what’s even harder is trying to stick it out the last few weeks leading up to the end of the year. Student’s perception of what would be the better option when it comes to going early or leaving late usually depends on what seems like the better choice to them at that moment. Sure, we can all say we’d rather leave school later in exchange for another week of precious vacation, but when it comes time to pay the piper and stay another week at the end of the year, everyone’s opinions are changed.

Why not accept a choice now that we will eventually appreciate in the future? It might seem like the end of the world once it’s time to pick up the backpacks and drag our lifeless corpses back into school for yet another year, but months later the days we leave early in return will seem well worth it.