Running Away With District

Back to Article
Back to Article

Running Away With District

The cross country team after the district meet.

Diana Acuna, Staff Writer

Ever since the cross country team has been part of the 6A division, the largest division, they have not been able to make it past district. However, this last fall season, the driven team was able to make it to regionals after a long season of hard work.

“I was so excited that I was able to make it to regionals,” junior Isabel Breaux said. 

The beginning of the school year marked the start of the long journey to regionals. Everyday, the team members would start practice at 6:30 a.m and finish around 7:30 then get ready for school. The long school day passes, and now it’s time to get ready for another round of training. From 3:05 to 4:15, the team meets again. 

“At times it is very exhausting; you don’t get much free time and we pretty much schedule everything around running,” Breaux said. “But I’d say our hard work paid off.” 

A major component of the cross country’s success was the bond that they developed over the season. On the track, they became more than just teammates, they built friendships that will last a lifetime. 

“I was kind of scared to quit tennis because that’s where all of my good friends were, but I made even more from being on the cross country team,” freshman Reagan Hull said.

Although the team had a lot of other commitments on their plate, they still managed to prioritize running and balance other activities at the same time. Being able to know how to keep up with practice everyday, school, other extra curricular activities, and social life was not easy. 

“We had to put aside a lot of time throughout the summer and into the school year to train for our upcoming meets, but throughout all the training the team grew closer and came to love the sport even more,” freshman Abigail Hilton said.

There were a total of 7 meets throughout the season, each of which the team performed to their best ability. Breaux was able to accomplish times which lead to her success at district. At district, she was able to run away with first place with a time of 19 minutes and 34 seconds for a total of 5000 meters. 

“I was physically ready, it was just the mental part. I just had to play out how the race would go and what it would take to win,” Breaux said.

As a freshman, Hilton stepped up for the team at district. At the Tyler Lee meet, she was able to run 2 miles in 14 minutes and 16 seconds, getting 9th place out of 221 participants. 

Out of the boys team, David Laguna has some of the fastest distance times at Longview in some events. In the UIL district meet, he ran 5000 meters in 18 minutes and 25 seconds. His times encourage and push the team to do well and perform well together. 

In addition, Andrew Johnson shined at the Mt Pleasant Titus County Fair Invitational. He ran 3 miles in 17 minutes and 56 seconds. 

This year, the team was able to perform better than the previous years since they joined the 6A division. The memories they have made together throughout the season were what made the journey worth it.