Freshman Advice; The Do’s and the Don’ts of High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

K. Whitenack

K. Whitenack

K. Whitenack

Hailie McGuire, Lifestyle Editor

From giant seniors towering overhead, to getting lost during the first few weeks of school, being a freshman can be both overwhelming and terrifying.

Many upperclassmen have dealt with the same anxiety of being the new class on campus, and are here to give those freshmen who aren’t having the most manageable time their advice to make the year go as smoothly as it possibly can.

The number one thing to remember is to keep your grades up.

Many people don’t take this seriously until their GPA drops and they’re running around trying to make up their credits, so keeping your grades up will help you in the long run when you start applying for college.

From extra credit to individual help from your teacher or classmates, there are many ways to find help if you’re either falling behind or needing some tutoring. Asking can be scary, so don’t shy yourself away from emailing your teacher about your struggle. They will be more than happy to help you with anything you are finding trouble in. 

Also, make sure that you’re hanging around people who genuinely care about you.

Many freshmen make the easy mistake of hanging out with the wrong upperclassmen, and if you’re not careful, you could fall into the wrong crowd and be in situations that you will not find comfortable.

Hanging out with people who won’t peer pressure you into making a decision you aren’t fully set on is very important. You only have four years left, and you don’t want to mess it all up by making one tiny decision that could crumble in your hands.

Lastly, have as much fun as you possibly can.

High school can be stressful, so make sure you make it worthwhile by going to football games, fun activities, school dances, or even joining a club. 

High school would feel even more stressful without these things, so take every opportunity you can to go out with a few friends and make the most of it. You can find the event dates in the school calendar, newspaper, during morning announcements, or even asking your classmates. You don’t want to miss out on the fun, so keep your eyes peeled for an event that may fit your interests.

High school truly does fly by in the blink of an eye, so make the best out of these years by having fun and making proper decisions. It will be gone before you know it.